Date: 22nd April 2006 at 5:09pm
Written by:

Clearly missing the influential figures of Scott McNiven and Stewart Drummond, City extended their unbeaten run to seven games on Saturday afternoon after struggled to break through a dogged Barnet side who were fighting for their lives near the bottom of the league two table. The best chances of the half fell to Chester City however and the Blues can consider themselves unlucky not to take the lead before the interval. Edwards missed a superb chance to take the lead after six minutes. An intelligent move by Derek Asamoah set Gregg Blundell up along the left flank. From the byline, the former Doncaster Rovers hitman chipped the ball over to Jake Edwards at the far post who should really have found the net than volley the ball over the crossbar. Flitney was called into action again ten minutes later as the match developed into being all one-way traffic from the Blues. Beating his marker, Nick Bailey, Edwards struck from the right channel forcing Flitney into a fine save to keep the visitors in the game. Sadly City had to do without captain Stewart Drummond after 25 minutes when the injured midfielder had to be replaced by Abdou El Kholti. City continued to dominate proceedings and should again consider themselves unlucky when Gregg Blundell was adjudged to be offside after finding himself in a good position. As the half drew to a close, Barnet enjoyed their first real attack on goal when Liam Hutch breached the City defence. Fortunately City shot-stopper Chris MacKenzie was on hand to block Hatch?s right footer before the referee, Mike Pike, blew for half time.

Half Time: Chester City 0 Barnet 0

Chester City continued to dominate possession in the second period with the industrious and skilful Asamoah a constant threat to the Bees. On 56 minutes Ben Davies come close to breaking the deadlock but Bees goalkeeper Flitney was on had to tip his curling right footed free kick over the bar. Blundell brought another save from the visiting keeper soon after as Barnet were remained enclosed in their own half. There was a rare sigh of relief from City fans on the hour mark when an unusual Barnet counter attack saw Treson Kandol head wide of MacKenzie?s goal from a Hessenthaler cross. Spurred on by that rare attack, Barnet tried there look again but MacKenzie pulled off a routine save from Dean Sinclair?s right wing cross. City well and truly went to sleep just after the hour mark as Barnet pushed forward. MacKenzie saves from a Sinclair diving header before Kandol struck the ball across the face of Chester?s goal just moments later. City?s defensive frailties were exposed in the final ten minutes of the game when Barnet should have taken the lead. Nicky Bailey broke through the Chester offside trap, but MacKenzie pulled off the block of the game to deny the Barnet defender as Bailey attempted to sidefoot the ball into the right corner. There was further drama from the resulting corner kick and The Blues had Tom Curtis to thank for clearing Sinclair?s shot off the line.

Full Time: Chester City 0 Barnet 0

Chester City Man of the Match: Sean Hessey

Attendance: 2,367