Date: 16th August 2008 at 6:34pm
Written by:

It was another disappointing League Two defeat for Chester City at the hands of Wycombe Wanderers and with it an increasingly disappointing attendance. A meagre 1,419 supporters clicked through the Deva Stadium turnstiles as blues supporters stayed away in their droves.

It was an open, but competitive start to this game by both sides. The Blues were fortunate not to go behind after Tommy Doherty unleashed a powerful right footer just wide of the target. But the Blues held their own with plenty of probing runs down the right flank.

City were creative with Anthony Barry producing a number of good balls, but the Blues were let down where it matters most, in the final third of the field. Ellison and Lowe struggled to combine in the 21st minute with a strong swirling wind to contend with.

But City were hit on the break in the 27th minute, when totally against the run of play Wycombe opened the scoring after Mousinho eluded his marker, latching onto a long ball forward from Woodman. He had the easiest of tasks to simply loft the ball over John Danby`s head.

Worse could have followed on the half hour mark when Laurence Wilson made a mess of a routine clearance placing the ball at the feet of Mousinho. However, just inside the area, Mousinho was unable to control the ball, sending his drive high and wide.

yan Lowe stung the hands of the Wycombe keeper five minutes into the second half as City went in search of an equaliser. In the 64th minute Lowe shot straight at the goalkeeper after Ellison sent him through with a neat through ball but then in the 66th minute all of Chester`s hard work was undone when Chris Zebroski was brought down in the box after he was caught by Wilson. Scott McGleish converted the spot kick sending the ball low into the bottom left corner, past the despairing dive of John Danby.

Tony Dinning forced a save from the keeper with a speculative long-range effort before City boss Simon Davies decided to change things around with a double substitution. He brought on Richie Partridge and super striker Paul Taylor for Tony Dinning and Jay Harris.

A Zebroski strike brought Danby into action but at the other end Scott Shearer made hard work of a routine stop from Lowe. But it was Wycombe who looked the liveliest. The visitors came the closest to scoring and could have added another name to the scoresheet but the crossbar came to City`s rescue when Leon Jonson rattled the Chester bar with a powerful header from a well-worked Wycombe free-kick.

One thing is for sure. It is going to be a long hard season for Chester City fans!

Were you at the game? What did you think of the match? Post a comment below at Vital Chester City.

Chester City: John Danby, James Vaughan, Shaun Kelly, Paul Linwood, Laurence Wilson, Tony Dinning, Mozika, Anthony Barry, Jay Harris, Ryan Lowe, Kevin Ellison

ubstitutes: Kevin Roberts, Richie Partridge, Stephen Vaughan, Dave Mannix, Paul Taylor

Wycombe Wanderers: Scott Shearer, Craig Woodman, Leon Johnson, Mike Williamson, Dave Mccracken, Tommy Doherty, Scott Mcgleish, Gavin Grant, Lewis Spence, John Mousinho

Referee: Mr D Drysdale

ssistant: Mr D Handley, Mr R L Johnson

ourth Official: Mr C Dunn

Attendance: 1,419