Date: 15th April 2006 at 5:22pm
Written by:

In front of a very disappointing Saunders Honda Stadium attendance of just 2,797, Chester City notched up yet another impressive victory over promotion chasing Wycombe Wanderers. Club captain Stewart Drummond?s 64th minute tap in was enough to ensure City?s winning streak continued. After such a poor spell during February and March, City fans have been treated to a fabulous run of five wins on the bounce, but it wasn?t all plain sailing for The Blues.

Chester City struggled to contain Wycombe for periods of the first half. With just five minutes played Jermaine Easter had breached the City back line, but lost his footing with only Chris MacKenzie to beat. In a scappy spell, chances were a rarity for both sides. The Blues came close when Drummond?s header was blocked by Frank Talia from a Ben Davies free kick, after Derek Asamoah have been hacked down by Russell Martin.

Carl Regan came on to replace the injured Scott McNiven on 28 minutes. The stocky defender caught a nasty knock to his left arm as the visitors pushed forward. After City had regained possession Derek Asamoah scuffed a good chance to take the lead when he tried to connect to a cross from captain, Stewart Drummond. Sadly the little man mis-kicked to send the ball over the bar from close range.

As the interval neared, Asamoah found himself with another good chance on 39 minutes, but he should have done better than to drift his shot across the face of goal.

Half Time: Chester City 0 Wycombe Wanderers 0

All fired up after the break, Wycombe Wanderers attacked The Blues with two quickfire chances. Straight from the restart former Woking man Kevin Betsy set up Tommy Mooney who tried his luck with an opportunist strike from outside the area but MacKenzie got down well to block the shot. A minute later Mooney turned provider delivering a fine cross from the left for Easter. Somehow, the Chairboys striker hoofed the ball left footedly over the Chester crossbar.

Wycombe?s pace and enthusiasm for the game were sadly far superior to Chester?s tired looking approach to the game. But after soaking up the pressure a revitalised City began to push for an opening goal. Tom Curtis came the closest on 62 after Asamoah and Artell had half chances. Curtis collected the ball on the edge of the area from a Chester corner and tried his luck with a thunderous volley. Goalkeeper Talia was at his best to parry the ball away from danger.

The goal City?s approach play threatened came moments later thanks to a simple tap in from club captain, Stewart Drummond to complete a fine Chester move. The goal came on 64 minutes after Artell headed the ball down into the area from a Ben Davies cross. Drummond was on had to put the finishing touch to a good spell of pressure by knocking the ball into the net.
City could have doubled their lead soon afterwards when Ben Davies dug up the courage to round a Wycombe defender and struck from outside the area, sadly his drive caught the wind and drifted well wide of the far post.

At the other end the visitors almost pulled the scoreline level when Mooney queued up a another long distance effort, but MacKenzie pulled off a top drawer save to block his powerful right footer. Normal service resumed on 86 though when Ben Davies rounded Russell Martin inside the area. With teammates lining up alongside his he struck a right footer only to see the ball fly agonisingly wide of the nearside upright.

Full Time: Chester City 1 Wycombe Wanderers 0

Attendance: 2,797

Chester City Man of the Match: Stewart Drummond