Date: 4th April 2006 at 10:37pm
Written by:

Chester City?s second string earned a 2-1 victory in the mini-derby thanks to a first half Mark Cadwallader volley and a thundering 25-yard pile-driver from James Scales on the hour mark that gave City only their second win of the season in the Pontins League Division One West.

A reserve match peppered with experienced players on both sides started slowly and only sprang into life after about twenty minutes. City had new boy Paul Harrison in goal with Luke Dimech at the back. Stephen Vaughan captained the side from midfield whilst Paul Tait and Paul Rutherford lined up in attack. Wrexham had two Chester old boys in their side with Dave Bayliss and Alex Smith lining up for the Dragons. Lee McEvilly started in attack as he continued his comeback from a long injury lay off.

Chester took a while to settle into the game and a tactical switch saw them begin to take control of the game and as they started to see more of the ball their first chance fell to Stephen Vaughan who disappointingly blasted a 25-yard free kick well wide of the right hand upright after 25 minutes. Just two minutes later saw another great chance for City as Potter crossed from the left for Adam Wade at the far post but his header was saved down low by the visiting goalkeeper as the game appeared to spring into life. Another free kick awarded to Chester on the half hour mark saw Stephen Vaughan crossing from the inside right channel but the header from Chris Holroyd flew narrowly wide of the left-hand post.

Chester finally made their possession count after 35 minutes when another free kick was dangerously arrowed into the box by Stephen Vaughan from the left wing and Mark Cadwallader beat his marker to the ball and volleyed the ball right footed past the despairing dive of the Wrexham goalkeeper.

Wrexham came out hungry for an equaliser in the second half and it arrived after just ten minutes when Robert Marsh-Evans did not deal with a cross by Alex Smith into the penalty area and it allowed Lee McEvilly an easy chance. He made no mistake as he swept the ball home on the half volley into the bottom corner. Just a minute later Wrexham nearly stole the lead as Chester born Levi Mackin crossed from the left but thankfully Marc Williams could only steer his shot wide as he was put under pressure by the City defence.

City then created a chance of their own on 60 minutes as Holroyd marched through unchallenged and his shot was saved by the feet of the Wrexham goalkeeper but it didn?t take too long for City to regain the lead and what a spectacular effort it was too. James Scales found himself in possession a full 25 yards from goal and he rifled an unstoppable drive into the top right corner to give City the advantage again.

Stephen Vaughan looked to increase his sides lead after 79 minutes as he picked up possession ten yards inside the Wrexham half and went on a storming run that carried him 20 yards from goal where he unleashed a fierce drive that narrowly evaded the right hand post and went out for a goal kick to Wrexham.

The Dragons nearly got the equaliser on 85 minutes as Matty Done got to the by-line and crossed for Marc Williams but his header was wide of the goal. Chester then almost immediately went further ahead as a bad pass out of defence fell to Paul Tait who squared the ball to James Scales and he made space before curling a 20-yard effort that the goalkeeper did well to clutch at the far post. It was to be James Scales last action of the game as he was withdrawn from play immediately after to be replaced by Kevin Roberts and it was the last notable event of the game as shortly afterwards the referee blew the final whistle to give City the full three points.

City?s youth team manager Jim Hackett was pleased with the win afterwards. ?Overall in the first half we bossed the game but we had to change our game plan after about ten minutes and we then started to cancel them out. From that moment on we were not under a lot of pressure. We scored a good goal through Mark Cadwallader and went in at half time happy and comfortable.

?Unfortunately we didn?t get out of the blocks for the first ten minutes of the second half. We gave them a poor goal where our defenders probably should have cleared it or the goalkeeper has to claim it. That indecision has cost us but then James Scales scored that goal. He?s only scored two goals all season and both of them have been identical. He?s put us back in the race and from there we looked quite comfortable. For a derby game it wasn?t too bad.?

Final Score: Chester City Reserves 2 Wrexham Reserves 1

CHESTER CITY: Paul Harrison, Adam Wade, Freddie Potter (Sean Newton 80), Luke Dimech, Mark Cadwallader, Robert Marsh-Evans, Stephen Vaughan, James Scales (Kevin Roberts 86), Paul Tait, Paul Rutherford, Chris Holroyd. Unused Subs: Ryan Brookfield, Sean Kelly, Nathan Humphreys.

WREXHAM: Michael Jones, Gareth Evans, Mike Williams, Dave Bayliss, Chris Evans (Andy Fleming 80), Levi Mackin, Phil Gray (Neil Taylor 80), Alex Smith, Lee McEvilly, Marc Willams, Matty Done. Unused Subs: Sion Edwards, Aaron Braidsell, Graham Roche.