Date: 23rd January 2009 at 7:52pm
Written by:

We travel back in time to March 1978 today to remember a day with Chester trounced Lincoln City at Sealand Road.

Any doubts that there may have been as to Peter Henderson’s potential as a League striker were dispelled in a devastating seven minute spell during this Third Division match played back in March 1978.

After a magnificent hat trick Henderson returned to his schoolteacher’s job in Winsford the following day.

Peter saved City’s blushes for with only 21 minutes of this game left we railed by a goal to nil. Lincoln were bottom of the table and had been hit for six at Swindon Town the previous Saturday.

Incredibly they were playing their seventh successive away League game! For much of this match a shock result was on the cards as a weak back header from Jim Walker on 32 minutes was punished by David Sunley and The Imps confidence grew.

Wigan lived dangerously at the back many times and should have suffered a minute into the second half when Ian Edwards miskicked in front of goal after a long ball by Walker.

This miss was almost disastrous for only Walker’s goal line clearance prevented Sunley from hitting number two which would surely have put the Imps on the way to only their third League win of the season.

City’s pressure was so intense that on 69 minutes the avalanche began to smother Lincoln. A free kick by Raynor created the chance for Henderson to sneak in behind Edwards and beat goalkeeper Grotier with a superb header.

Three minutes later Henderson’s head caused more damage from a Sutcliffe cros after he had begun the move himself. On 74 minutes another Sutcliffe centre was neatly headed in by Edwards.

Looking every inch a team already doomed to relegation, Lincoln were in a terrible state at the back and when Alan Oakes sent Henderson through with a typically accurate pass the striker completed his hat trick with a shot under Grotier. On 84 minutes Peter Sutcliffe made the chance for Ronnie Phillips to stab home the fifth from close range.

Although Brian Lloyd had been a spectator for most of the second half he had to be on his toes in the closing moments to turn over a Graham Watson free kick. Unhappy Lincoln had two players booked – Mick Hartford and Dennis Leigh. Even though Peter Henderson took the headlines, Peter Sutcliffe had put on a dazzling second half display of wing play. His crosses were a nightmare for The Imps, unlike the first half when City’s repeated long balls up the middle met with no success.

Once Sutcliffe found a way behind the defence it was just a case of home many would we score. Alan Oakes commented: ‘The wind caused us problems at first but in the second half we made full use of it with Brian Lloyd’s kick’