Date: 17th June 2008 at 3:38pm
Written by:

In building up to our first round Carling Cup clash with Leeds United, we’re asking if you remember the night when Chester Football Club produced one of their biggest giant-killing acts EVER.

Back in 1974 First Division Champions Leeds United took on Chester at their old Sealand Road ground in front of a capacity crowd and the Seals wrote a glorious chapter in their history with an incredible knockout of the mighty league champions in the Fourth Round of the League Cup.

And, unbelievably, England`s European Cup hopes were never in the game against a Chester side which could have had six goals.

nd what a night to do it – a year to the day that Chester last lost at home – to Colchester United, another name to give Leeds supporters nightmares.

Chester`s capacity 19,000 gate went wild with delight and dashed on to the field when the referee blew his whistle to end United`s night of misery.

The champagne corks popped in the Chester dressing room as the home side celebrated the greatest giant-killing act for many a year. A lob into the goalmouth by Stuart Mason was clearly back headed by Derek Draper to John James, who crashed the ball at Leeds goalkeeper David Harvey. The ball was only half saved and James could hardly believe his eyes as his second shot put Chester in front.

Still Leeds failed to put Chester under any real pressure, and when they did in the 32nd minute, goalkeeper Grenville Millington produced a brilliant save to tip over a shot from Terry Cooper.

In fact, Chester`s response was an immediate second goal in the 40th minute. A free kick from Norman Whitehead penetrated the Leeds defence and Draper flicked the ball inside for Storton to ram the ball past the helpless Harvey.

Chester were now in complete command, and although Leeds had previously kept their heads, there were now signs that they were rattled. This was confirmed in the 59th minute when Cooper, desperately tried to stop Ian Seddon in the penalty area and the referee was in no doubt it was a foul. James stepped up to the spot and sent Harvey the wrong way. In the 69th minute Billy Bremner went off with what looked like a thigh injury to be replaced by Mick Bates. But by then Leeds were down and out. So Chester, the team which cannot win away from here in the League, had coasted into the quarter-finals. Leeds can have no complaints or excuses. This was Chester`s night, and how they deserved it!

Can you say you were there?

Do you remember this match or know somebody who can say ‘I was there!’. Why not reminisce by posting your memories right here on Vital Chester City. Not a member? Sign up today! It quick, free and easy and we’d love to here your views.